- About NBAA
- Award Nominees
- Young Business Achievers
- Previous Breakfast Speakers
- Award Winners 2008-2017
- NBAA Partners
- Contact Us
Mantra Bell City Hotel Ballroom
205-215 Bell Street Preston
Enter main car park off Hotham Street
Click here for a larger map.
Award Winners 2017
Melbourne's North Celebrates Business Successes and announces the 2017 NBAA Business of the Year Award Winners
Elk wins 2017 NBAA Business of the Year
The 2017 Business of the Year Award sponsored by the Victorian Government was awarded to Preston clothing and accessories business Elk, for business excellence across all areas of operations (nominated by the City of Darebin).
Other winners were:
- The Sustainability and Environment Award sponsored by Apprenticeships Matter, which recognised sustainability and environmental best practice was awarded to Somerton business Close the Loop for their innovative recycling of toner cartridges (nominated by Hume City Council).
- For successfully exporting their products to a range of overseas locations, Elk were awarded the Export Award sponsored by Energy Australia. They also have plans to expand into other significant overseas markets (nominated by the City of Darebin).
- The Customer Service Award sponsored by MatchWorks, which recognised excellence in customer service, was awarded to Campbellfield caravan manufacturer Nova Caravans (nominated by Hume City Council).
- The Innovation and Enterprise Award sponsored by AusIndustry, recognised significant innovation and enterprise initiatives. This award was presented to Coburg North makerspace Space Tank Studio for outstanding innovation and enterprise (nominated by Moreland City Council).
- The Industry Education Engagement Award sponsored by Northern Melbourne RDA recognised Fairfield manufacturer Shiny Embroidery for their relationships with universities around R&D and innovation (nominated by the City of Darebin).
- The Human Resources Award sponsored by M+K Lawyers, recognises the investment in employee engagement and development. This award was presented to Thomastown fabricator Stainless Services for their ongoing investment in professional development and training (nominated by the City of Whittlesea).
- The Workplace Diversity Award sponsored by Melbourne Polytechnic, recognises companies that value a culturally diverse workplace and was awarded to Diamond Creek homebuilder LP Warren Homes for reflecting and supporting workplace diversity (nominated by Nillumbik Shire Council).
- The Technology Award, sponsored by Telstra, recognises excellence in the application of digital technology and has been won by Brunswick business, Your Coffee (nominated by Moreland City Council).
- The Best Start-Up or Microbusiness Award, sponsored by the Bank of Melbourne, was won by Hyperwave, a fixed wireless internet provider started by three IT geeks (nominated by Nillumbik Shire Council).
- And for only the fourth time in nine years the Chairman’s Award was presented – this time to Heidelberg West business Melbourne City Rooftop Honey for their excellence across a wide range of categories including innovation and environmental sustainability (nominated by Banyule City Council).
Finalists include manufacturer Britex and recycling company Nationwide Connect.
The Awards align with NORTH Link’s aims of economic development and marketing and promotion of Melbourne’s North, by recognising local business achievement, encouraging innovation and providing valuable networks and opportunities for enterprise growth and development.
To encourage continuing accomplishment amongst businesses, the Northern Business Achievement Awards (NBAA) have been created as a series of business breakfast events designed to:
- acknowledge and celebrate the successes of Small-Medium enterprises (SME's)
- offer opportunities for valuable networking
- learn and exchange ideas
Chris Heysen Chair of NORTH Link said “The 2017 NBAA Grand Finale again showcased the best that Melbourne’s North industry has to offer and highlighted the growth and innovation occurring in the North. I congratulate the winners and all nominees on their achievements”.
The NBAA was created by NORTH Link with initial funding from the Victorian Government and the support of the Cities of Banyule, Darebin, Hume, Moreland, Whittlesea and the Shire of Nillumbik.
For more information or Sponsorship opportunities please contact Chris James, Executive Director, NORTH Link on (03) 9479 3336.
Thursday, June 7, 2018
Host: BANYULE CITY COUNCIL AND CITY OF DAREBIN
- Thursday, September 6, 2018
Host: SHIRE OF NILLUMBIK AND HUME CITY COUNCIL
- Thursday, December 6, 2018
Grand Finale Breakfast
Host: NORTH Link